Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Friend Like Ben.

I would just like to take a moment to remember the artist Michael Jackson. He died on June 25th, 2009.
I've been a fan of Michael's since I was a little girl. My mom loved his upbeat music and incomparable dancing style, so she would put on a tape and we would all dance in our apartment. I loved his unique voice and his style, and later gained an appreciation for just how talented a performer he was. I would watch his music videos like "Thriller," "Billy Jean," and "Black and White," and marvel at his abilities. You watch "Thriller" and his background dancers, all professional, simply can't compare to Michael. He sparkles. I could watch him dance for hours.
When he died, the first thing I felt was disappointment. I had made it one of my life goals to see Michael in concert, but now I'd never get a chance. I'm hoping there'll be a comeback tour in the next life.;)
My favorite song of Michael's, one that has always touched my heart, is "Ben." I think the lyrics are sweet and the melody is a little bit sad. I've been listening to it a lot since he passed.

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's one thing you should know
You've got a place to go
(you've got a place to go)

I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
Ben, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben


Goodbye, Michael. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment