Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It's Britney, Bitch.


"Love me, hate me, say what you want about me,
But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy."

This clever, hidden-meaning lyric is just one of the fantastic things you can expect from the new and improved Ms. Spears.

Like most people in the free world, I have known about Britney from "Baby, One More Time," all the way up to "Womanizer." Though, in my younger days, I found great amusement in making fun of the over-sexed pop princess, I could not deny that she had style. But it wasn't until I heard such songs as "Everytime" and "Toxic" that I really began to like her. She had a quality all her own that had earned her hit after hit, pushing her further and faster into the stratosphere of fame, fortune, and microscopic scrutiny.

Over the past year, with all the crazy behavior and bad publicity, I felt pity more than anything. Here was a woman who was losing control, losing faith, losing her personal battles, and we all found entertainment in it for a time, but after a while I just wanted everyone to leave her alone. I did, however, think that we'd seen the last of the Britney we knew.

Then "Womanizer" came out and I thought, you go girl. The song was her first number one single since "Baby One More Time," nearly ten years previous, and proved that Britney could not only make a comeback, but that she was coming back on top.

Over the last few months, I've enjoyed her new songs, retro-futurism hits like "If U Seek Amy" and "Circus" to the beautiful, moving ballads, "Unusual You," "Out From Under," and "My Baby."

I had heard fantastic things about her tour, The Circus: Starring Britney Spears, and really wanted to go. Britney Spears is like a circus unto herself; you go for the spectacle, you go because it will be entertainment, but mostly you go because it's BRITNEY SPEARS.

Still, I didn't think I would have the chance to go until, on Sunday night, my dad called our cousin Stan, a professional scalper, and got tickets. I immediately switched my counter-part in Charley's Aunt, Shannon, so that I could go on Tuesday.

When we got to the Will-Call desk, we found out that there was something wrong with our nosebleed seats. We went to the "Ticket Problems" desk, where they informed us that our seats didn't actually exist anymore, as the stage had needed to be expanded, so she gave us General Admission tickets instead. We were put right up against the stage.

First came the Pussycat Dolls, whom I have always rather liked. Their songs are catchy, their voices good, and they represent the strong, sexy feminine type of woman that us girls can admire. They sang their top hits, including "Doncha" and "Jai Ho," while performing choregraphed danced moves that took them all over the stage. Their voices were live, and even bigger in the theater staging than over the radio. They were also extremely beautiful up close.

When their show ended, there was a short break in which circus performers, i.e. clowns, jugglers, acrobats, and dancers came out to entertain. It was actually quite a fun show in itself, like being at an actual circus, with stunts that made you nervous and men and women with perfects bodies and very little clothing.

The stage, in the meantime, was being set up to look like a three ring circus, complete with a red curtain in the center on a giant screen.

Finally, the show started. Perez Hilton came onto the screen, parodying Elizabeth I and introducing the spectacle that was to be Britney's circus. As the screen rose over the stage, Britney descended on a platform, wearing a ringmaster outfit. The noise was deafening. I screamed along with the rest of them; you couldn't help it, she inspires that sort of thing. Her presence, just standing there, was electric. She began "Circus," during which she danced all around the stage with a team of some of the most incredible and sexy dancers I've ever seen, some of which couldn't have been older than seventeen. At the end of the song, a flawless costume change and a gold cage were brought out, in which she did "Piece of Me" surrounded by men in GIMP outfits. For the first time, she came right to the edge of the stage where I stood.

There is just one word to describe Britney up-close: radiant. She was every bit as beautiful as she appears on screen, if not more so, with gold skin and hair, and a smile that is infectious and personable, almost as if she can't believe you're there watching her. She looked as though she might giggle at any moment, which is 90% of her charm and charisma.

The show continued in segments with circus-oriented themes such as, "Welcome to the Cirus," "House of Fun," "Freakshow/Peepshow," "Electro-Circ," and the Finale. Each was masterfully segued into the next, complete with costume changes for the entire cast, set changes, and magic tricks that sent the performers to different sides of the stage at any moment. Also performing was magician Ed Alonzo, who did different things such as cutting Britney in half and vanishing her as she sang "Ooh, Ooh, Baby."

There were also such fun things as a Bollywood-inspired "Me Against the Music" and a martial arts dance to "Gimme More."

Through it all, one couldn't help but be caught up in the sexy, fantastic, alluring spectacle of it all. I was in awe of Britney's ability to hold it all together in her dazzling performance as she danced, sang, and captivated.

The girl knows how to entertain.

The show ended with "Baby, One More Time," and "Womanizer," and she and her cast gave a bow as confetti showered the audience.

I think I'm a Britney fan now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a great time. I also felt sorry for Britney during her bad times, and didn't think it was cool to mock her--she was down already and it was too easy. That doesn't mean I was or am a Britney fan. I think her voice--like other pop stars--is too synthed in the studios, and honestly I'm a little surprised that she's made it this far on her tour. She seems like the kind of person who thinks a tour is great, until she's on the road, and then she just wants to go back home and visit Starbucks four times a day. So mostly I'm glad she's back on top because I can mock her once again.

    ReplyDelete